Search This Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Summer Reading List


I don't know about you, but my summer reading list is ridiculously long! Some I WANT to read, and some I HAVE to read! But no matter what...I'm reading...A LOT! :) Good thing it is one of my favorite things to do.

The stack above represents my first round of "professional reads." While it is by no means extensive, it is where I'm starting! I am determined to also make time to read for fun here and there.

Here is a formal list of the titles above and associated links (if interested):

  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and The Speed of Trust--I love me ANYTHING by Stephen Covey! These have been on my "to read list" for a long time...the time is NOW!
  • The Power of Positive Leadership--This was given to me as a going away gift from a former colleague. She took the time to mark passages and quotes she felt were valuable in my new principal adventure. It was seriously one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received as an educator! My old school did a book study on one of Jon Gordon's books this last school year (The Energy Bus), and it was amazing! He has a number of books I'd love to work through. Always with a theme of positivity! We all could use more of that in our lives!
  • Leaders of their Own Learning and Management in the Active Classroom--my new school is an EL school (formally Expeditionary Learning). These books are MUST READS to wrap my head around this amazing work. They will really help me support my staff on their implementation journeys. I'm also heading to the EL Leadership Induction Conference in Washington, DC in a few weeks (EEK!)
  • O Great One!--Recommended to me by my old superintendent. He said it was one of the best reads he had had in a while. That automatically put it at the top of my list!
  • Switch and Most Likely to Succeed--both recommended to me by my new superintendent. So, yep, gotta read those this summer, too! I had heard about Switch during my grad program a number of years ago, but hadn't had the chance to read it. Excited for both of these.
  • Love Works--I learned about this book from Jay Posick (A MUST FOLLOW on Twitter!) He was in a mutual session at the Elmbrook EdCamp this spring. Another one about the importance of relationships and positive work culture.
  • Innovators Mindset--What can I say about George?? I have followed his blog for years, and it continues to be one of my all-time favorites. He is someone that everyone should follow. He, too, is super active on Twitter! His perspective and clear communication style really speak to me. Another book that I have had for quite some time, but just diving in to. I'm about halfway through this one right now, and I must say, I recommend it to every educator and leader out there that hopes to "do school" differently.
And finally, the book that I most recently finished...
(Click for link)
Seriously, friends...THIS. BOOK! I loved it from cover to cover. It was such a fun, invigorating read. Every chapter of my copy is loaded with notes, highlights, hearts, and stars. Shelley and Beth did such a great job taking Shelley's husband's work (Dave Burgess: Teach Like a Pirate and P is for Pirate) and expanding it to the leadership realm. So many great stories, examples, video links, and reflective questions. Plus, they are SUPER active on Twitter (fan-girling over here...) and host wonderful Twitter chats (#LeadLAP). 

My mind has been swimming "pirate things" since I read it. In EL Education, each class hosts a daily "crew meeting", so I am totally going to go with the Nautical/Pirate theme this year! I'm also hoping to do a building book club (optional) surrounding Teach Like a Pirate.

So, what is on your reading lists this summer? Anything to add to my "pile"? Would love any suggestions!

Voraciously Reading,

Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment